The Importance of Health Insurance
What is Health Insurance?
Health insurance is a type of insurance coverage that covers the cost of an insured individual's medical and surgical expenses.
Depending on the type of health insurance coverage, either the insured pays costs out-of-pocket and is then reimbursed, or the insurer makes payments directly to the provider.
No one plans to get sick or hurt, but most people need medical care at some point. Health insurance covers these costs and offers many other important benefits.
- Health insurance covers essential health benefits critical to maintaining your health and treating illness and accidents
- Health insurance protects you from unexpected, high medical costs.
- You get free preventive care, like vaccines, screenings, and some check-ups, even before you meet your deductible.
- Prevents falling into dept from surgeries or other healthcare.
- Uninsured people receive less medical care and less timely care, they have worse health outcomes.
How Does Health Insurance Work?
Sources: MedicalNewsToday.com HealthCare.gov Urban.org